Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pride, Prejudice and Pretention

Hi folks, my first blog and its a nervous attempt. The assumption being, its going to be sloppy. So, no point lingering on it, so here goes. Oh, and how you doin'?;-)

I am an avid reader. Not voracious as I used to be. But occasionally I love the good read. I was just thinking, if Jane Austen was alive today, man she would've written a trilogy at least of the Pride and Prejudice. Because, man o man, does our world today run on Pride, Prejudice and Pretension. Everywhere, homes, offices, college, school, its all over. I have come to believe that we let these three P's rule our lives more than we account for.

Lets take today for example. Me and my classmate live pretty close. With the distance that our college is from home, and the fact that fuel prices are never going to go down EVER, we share a ride, each picks up the other on alternate days. So, there I am waiting for her to come pick me up.(Oh and the other P - Punctuality died around the beginning of 21st century.RIP. ) This obviously meant we had only 15 mins to reach a place that takes 30 mins to reach. Let me tell you folks, I'm a way safe rider. So, halfway down the distance, she tells me "Feel like I'm in a bullock cart". Yeah, I get it, to reach a place in less time, gotta drive fast eh....sure common sense. But Pride took over. I drove so fast, so furious that we nearly missed knocking a few vehicles and a stray dog over. Coz a guy's got too much pride to hear something like that. Guys don't want to hear that they are slow and girls don't like to hear they are fat. Pride.

So, we are doing a software project for our final years and we have to meet up with an external guide, who at the end of the semester grades us. We are stuck at a critical point and have banged our heads enough without luck. We arrange a meeting with the guide to see if he can "guide" us to a way out of the problem. Now, our guide, though a quiet and ration-able guy, always gives us the creeps. Something about him just scares us and we end up tongue tied. He doesn't yell or scold us as such. Yet, its just unnerving to talk to someone who speaks to the point, in contrast to our loving caring professors. So, we go meet him, all tensed. However, when we finally do meet him, we are a jumbled group. We don't have our work in order. To show him the problem,  we forgot to bring the problem along. If we really are so scared, you'd think we'd be better prepared when we meet him. Nope, we are all fumbling to tell him the problem. I doubt he gathered even a bit of what we were speaking or what the problem is. However, the guy still listens to us calmly and talks reasonably. Is he really as scary as we think? Are we really as scared? Prejudice.

There and then, I wink to my friends which meant "We screwed up big time in not being ready with the problem. Now just hear him out and pretend we haven't tried what he's telling us to do.( we've tried it)". He suggests us a method to go forward, we nod sincerely. "Yeah.We haven't tired that. we'll surely try it now and let you know. Thanks". Pretention.

No comments:

Post a Comment